for less



i've recently introduced my children to the glories and wonders of The Discount Store (not to be confused with The Dollar Store... they've known that place for ages).  they're always on the hunt for some way to spend their money and for a while, the big chain stores had their hearts.

i was failing them as a mother.

if i'm being honest, the reason i went in the first place to The Discount Store was so that i would have fun things to peruse while they took a painfully long time deciding on what they wanted... choosing this store made is less painful for me.

one day though, as luck would have it, after walking out with a Legos Hero Factory Dude Thing (yes, that's what they're called)(no, not really) for half off the retail price, my eldest man cub realized he could get what he wants without blowing the whole wallet.  the same toy, still just as cool, for half the price!

i heard a bell ring from his belfry.

'mama', he says, 'i don't understand... why does anybody pay full price for anything?!'

waves of accomplishment washed over his bargain lovin' mama. i gave him a nod, my silent assent, and thought, that's my boy.

economics... boom, graduated.


Pin It

Comments

  1. Bargain...I hear a melody in my head when I read that word. You've done good Momma Bear...real good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant! i have a pretty little china box that i move
    around my house, because i love it. one day my
    daughter said, "mom, you know i got that at the dollar
    store 20 years ago, right?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. tammy: thank you. i'd like to thank the academy...

    lea: you have exquisite taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodie, I knew there was a reason I like you so much. Kismet. I tell ya. We are kindred spirits. One of the subjects in our home school is "GoodWill Hunting".

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's awesome! my kids never have money to spend, so this hasn't been an issue. But....I am very curious to know the given name of this discount store so that I can be sure I am not in the dark and failing economics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dana: i totally had to look up what kismet means. thank you for teaching me a new word. that automatically endears me to you. throw in the whole "goodwill" thing and well, that's 2 points in your column. :)

    holly: girl, i'm pretty sure you've heard of ross. i got no secret honey hole, much to my chagrin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nearly shed a tear (of joy) at your son's comment. Smart kid. Of course, he's got a smart momma to learn from. Once you discover the joy of paying less than full price there's no going back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha b.d., that made me laugh. he is a smarty pants and i really enjoy that about him. :)

    and have truer words ever been spoken? "there's no going back!" true that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment